Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Resonance

Resonance is a pencil illustration that’s been in my sketchbook and on my wish list to paint for a very long time.  Her name is Carmen an accomplished harpsichord player whose enjoying an afternoon performing one of favourite Bach pieces.
I finally got to work on this concept and the resulting image is another in a very long list of images that I felt I took an empowering step forward in my painting technique.  I really felt that the use of lighting was more of challenge considering I usually hide behind the use of shadows found in some of my darker imagery.  However this time there was no place to hide.  I focused on the stoic elegance of the figure with the use of a lot of bright soft sunlight flooding in and relied on the warmth of the colour palette to tell of the story rather than dramatic shadow.  I can't wait to use what I've learned from this experience and applying to my work in the future. 








No comments:

Post a Comment